What is Milling Machine
Milling machine may be defined as the type of machine in which the metal is removed by causing the job to be fed against a revolving cutting tool called the milling cutter.
Types of Milling Machines
There are two main types of milling machine
1. Bed type milling machine
A bed type milling machine has a vertical adjustment of the spindle.
- Simplex milling machine
- Duplex milling machine
- Triplex milling machine
2. Column and knee type
A column and knee type milling machine has vertical adjustment of the work table.
- Hand milling machine
- Plain milling machine
- Universal milling machine
- Omuniversal milling machine
- Vertical milling machine
3. Plainer type milling machine
4. Special type milling machine
Parts & Components of a Milling Machine
The principal parts of milling machine are as follows:
The base of the machine is gray iron casting accurately machined on its top and bottom surface and serves as a foundation member for all the other parts which rest upon it.
The column is the main supporting frame mounted vertically on the bag.
The knee is a rigid gray iron casting that slides up and down on the vertical way of the column face.
The saddle is placed on the top of the knee, which slides on guide ways set exactly at 90 to the column face.
The table rests on ways on the saddle and travels longitudinally.
Over hanging arm
The over hanging arm is mounted on the top of the column extend beyond the column face and serves as a bearing support for the other end of the arbor.
The front brace is an extra support that is fitted between the knee and over arm to ensure further rigidity to the arbor and the knee.
The spindle of the machine is located in the upper part of the machine and receives power from the motor through belts, gears and clutches and transmits it to the arbor.
An Arber may be considered as an extension of the machine spindle on which cutters are securely mounted and rotated.
Attachment and Milling Machine Accessories:
The attachments are standard or special auxiliary devices intended to be fastened to or joined with one or more components of the milling machine for the purpose of augmenting the range, versatility productivity or accuracy of operation.
The following are the following are the different attachments used on milling machine.
- Dividing head
- Vertical head
- Rotary head
- Slotting attachment
- Rack milling attachment
Safety precautions in using Milling Machine:
The following are the safety practices for operating milling machine:
- Be sure to keep your fingers clear of the arbor bearing when setting the support arm in position.
- Keep hands and arms away from revolving cutters never reach over a revolving arbor to make an adjustment.
- Do not check work or measure work while the cutter is revolving. Shut the machine off first.
- Do not lift heavy machine attachment alone
- Never permit another person to start or stop the machine for you. Do it yourself.
- Keep the floor around your machine clean and free from objects that might cause some one to slip or fall.
- Wear snugly fitting clothing. Loose garment, flapping ties or long sleeves are easily caught in moving machinery.
|← Design Criteria & Considerations for Construction of Generators | Genset||Milling Operation - Milling Process & Types of Milling →|